Main Article Content
Aplikasi metode geofisika menggunakan side scan sonar dalam penelitian arkeologi bawah air belum banyak dilakukan di Indonesia. Tulisan ini memaparkan penggunaan side scan sonar untuk pemetaan dasar sungai dan identifikasi tinggalan arkeologi di dasar sungai dalam penelitian “Sungai Brantas dalam Perspektif Lanskap Kultur Maritim”, serta interpretasi hasil survei side scan sonar tersebut dalam konteks kesejarahan. Selain itu, dalam tulisan ini akan dibahas potensi pengembangan penggunaan side scan sonar dalam penelitian arkeologi bawah air di Indonesia, terutama di perairan sungai. Akuisisi data dilakukan dengan menggunakan side scan sonar Starfish 450H dengan sistem posisi GNSS Trimble R8s. Sementara itu, interpretasi diperoleh dengan melakukan analisis terhadap data peta dan arsip Belanda untuk memahami konteks temporal dari objek yang dideteksi oleh alat side scan sonar. Survei berhasil menunjukkan sedimen di dasar sungai berupa lempung dan lanau, serta beberapa objek yang diduga sebagai bangkai kapal, yang diperkirakan berasal dari pasca abad ke-19 Masehi. Hasil survei side scan sonar menunjukkan tingkat akurasi cukup hingga tinggi dan dapat menjadi pendukung penelitian arkeologi bawah air yang efisien, terutama di perairan yang keruh.
Side scan sonar survey as one of the geophysics methods is still scarcely applied in underwater archaeological research in Indonesia. This paper describes the application of side scan sonar survey in mapping riverbed and identifying underwater archaeological remains in the “Sungai Brantas in the Perspective of Maritime Cultural Landscape” project, as well as interpreting its historical context based on survey results. This paper also explores the development of utilizing side scan sonar in underwater archaeological research in Indonesia, particularly in rivers. Data was acquisitioned by using the side scan sonar Starfish 450H and GNSS Trimble R8s positioning system. The interpretation was drawn by analysing related Dutch old maps and archives to understand the historical context of the survey findings. The result shows clay and silt sediment covering most of the riverbed and a number of objects, possibly shipwrecks, estimated as from the nineteenth century. The survey result has a medium to high accuracy. Thus, this method is able to serve as an efficient instrument for underwater archaeological research, especially in the low-visibility waters.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Retained Rights/Terms and Conditions of Publication
Â 1. As an author you (or your employer or institution) may do the following:
- make copies (print or electronic) of the article for your own personal use, including for your own classroom teaching use;
- make copies and distribute such copies (including through e-mail) of the article to research colleagues, for the personal use by such colleagues (but not commercially or systematically, e.g. via an e-mail list or list server);
- present the article at a meeting or conference and to distribute copies of the article to the delegates attending such meeting;
- for your employer, if the article is a â€˜work for hireâ€™, made within the scope of your employment, your employer may use all or part of the information in the article for other intra-company use (e.g. training);
- retain patent and trademark rights and rights to any process, procedure, or article of manufacture described in the article;
- include the article in full or in part in a thesis or dissertation (provided that this is not to be published commercially);
- use the article or any part thereof in a printed compilation of your works, such as collected writings or lecture notes (subsequent to publication of the article in the journal); and prepare other derivative works, to extend the article into book-length form, or to otherwise re-use portions or excerpts in other works, with full acknowledgement of its original publication in the journal;
- may reproduce or authorize others to reproduce the article, material extracted from the article, or derivative works for the authorâ€™s personal use or for company use, provided that the source and the copyright notice are indicated, the copies are not used in any way that implies Naditira Widya endorsement of a product or service of any employer, and the copies themselves are not offered for sale.
All copies, print or electronic, or other use of the paper or article must include the appropriate bibliographic citation for the articleâ€™s publication in the journal.
2. Requests from third parties
Although authors are permitted to re-use all or portions of the article in other works, this does not include granting third-party requests for reprinting, republishing, or other types of re-use. Requests for all uses not included above, including the authorization of third parties to reproduce or otherwise use all or part of the article (including figures and tables), should be referred to Naditira Widya by going to our website at http://naditirawidya.kemdikbud.go.id
Â 3. Author Online Use
- Personal Servers. Authors and/or their employers shall have the right to post the accepted version of articles pre-print version of the article, or revised personal version of the final text of the article (to reflect changes made in the peer review and editing process) on their own personal servers or the servers of their institutions or employers without permission from Naditira Widya, provided that the posted version includes a prominently displayed Naditira Widya copyright notice and, when published, a full citation to the original publication, including a link to the article abstract in the journal homepage. Authors shall not post the final, published versions of their papers;
- Classroom or Internal Training Use. An author is expressly permitted to post any portion of the accepted version of his/her own articles on the authorâ€™s personal web site or the servers of the authorâ€™s institution or company in connection with the authorâ€™s teaching, training, or work responsibilities, provided that the appropriate copyright, credit, and reuse notices appear prominently with the posted material. Examples of permitted uses are lecture materials, course packs, e-reserves, conference presentations, or in-house training courses;
- Electronic Preprints. Before submitting an article to an Naditira Widya, authors frequently post their manuscripts to their own web site, their employerâ€™s site, or to another server that invites constructive comment from colleagues. Upon submission of an article to Naditira Widya, an author is required to transfer copyright in the article to Naditira Widya, and the author must update any previously posted version of the article with a prominently displayed Naditira Widya copyright notice. Upon publication of an article by the Naditira Widya, the author must replace any previously posted electronic versions of the article with either (1) the full citation to the work with a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) or link to the article abstract in Naditira Widya homepage, or (2) the accepted version only (not the final, published version), including the Naditira Widya copyright notice and full citation, with a link to the final, published article in journal homepage.
4. Articles in Press (AiP) service
Naditira Widya may choose to publish an abstract or portions of the paper before we publish it in the journal. Please contact our Production department immediately if you do not want us to make any such prior publication for any reason, including disclosure of a patentable invention.
5. Author/Employer Rights
If you are employed and prepared the article on a subject within the scope of your employment, the copyright in the article belongs to your employer as a work-for-hire. In that case, Naditira Widya assumes that when you sign this Form, you are authorized to do so by your employer and that your employer has consented to the transfer of copyright, to the representation and warranty of publication rights, and to all other terms and conditions of this Form. If such authorization and consent has not been given to you, an authorized representative of your employer should sign this Form as the Author.
Â 6. Naditira Widya Copyright Ownership
It is the formal policy of Naditira Widya to own the copyrights to all copyrightable material in its technical publications and to the individual contributions contained therein, in order to protect the interests of the Naditira Widya, its authors and their employers, and, at the same time, to facilitate the appropriate re-use of this material by others. Naditira Widya distributes its technical publications throughout the world and does so by various means such as hard copy, microfiche, microfilm, and electronic media. It also abstracts and may translate its publications, and articles contained therein, for inclusion in various compendiums, collective works, databases and similar publications.
Naditira Widya byÂ Balai Arkeologi Kalimantan SelatanÂ is licensed under aÂ Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available atÂ http://naditirawidya.kemdikbud.go.id/
Christie, Jan Wiseman. 1982. “Patterns of Trade in western Indonesia: Ninth through Thirteenth Centuries A.D.” University of London.
Coiras, E. dan J. Groen. 2009. “Simulation and 3D Reconstruction of Side-Looking Sonar Images.” Hal. 1–14 in Advances in Sonar Technology, diedit oleh S. R. Silva. I-Tech Education and Publishing.
Collier, J. S. dan C. J. Brown. 2005. “Correlation of sidescan backscatter with grain size distribution of surficial seabed sediments.” Marine Geology 214:431–49.
Dillenia, Ira dan Rainer Arief Troa. 2016. “Identifikasi Situs Kapal Karam Bersejarah ‘Karang Panjang’ di Perairan Pulau Laut Natuna.” Jurnal Kelautan Nasional 11(1):20.
Ehrhold, Axel, Dominique Hamon, dan Brigitte Guillaumont. 2006. “The REBENT monitoring network, a spatially integrated, acoustic approach to surveying nearshore macrobenthic habitats: application to the Bay of Concarneau (South Brittany, France).” ICES Journal of Marine Science 63(9):1604–15.
Flemming, B. W. 1976. “Side-Scan Sonar : A Practical Guide.” The International Hydrographic Review 53(1):65–92.
Gemilang, Wisnu Arya, Nia Naelul Hasanah Ridwan, Ulung Jantama Wisha, Guntur Adhi Rahmawan, dan Zainab
Tahir. 2020. “Identifikasi Awal Potensi Tinggalan Budaya Bawah Laut Kalimantan Barat, Berdasarkan Data Side Scan Sonar.” Jurnal Kelautan Nasional 15(1):13–22.
Green, Jeremy. 2004. Maritime Archaeology: A Technical Handbook, Second Edition. Elsevier.
Hansen, Roy Edgar. 2011. “Introduction to Synthetic Aperture Sonar.” Hal. 3–28 in Sonar System, diedit oleh N. Kolev. Rijeka: IntechOpen.
Hedwi, P. 2014. “Transportasi Air dalam Perdagangan pada Masa Jawa Kuno.” Forum Arkeologi 27(3):155–74.
Hobbs, CH, DB Blanton, RA Gammisch, dan J. Broadwater. 1994. “A marine archaeological reconnaissance using side-scan sonar, Jamestown Island, Virginia, USA.” Journal of Coastal Research 10(2):351–59.
Hosty, K., J. Hunter, dan S. Adhityatama. 2018. “Death by a Thousand Cuts: An Archaeological Assessment of Souveniring and Salvage on the Australian Cruiser HMAS Perth (I).” International Journal of Nautical Archaeology 47(2).
Manik, Henry M. 2011. “Underwater Acoustic Detection and Signal Processing Near the Seabed.” Hal. Ch.12 in Sonar System, diedit oleh N. Kolev. Rijeka: IntechOpen.
McCauley, R. D. dan J. P. Siwabessy. 2005. Coastal Zone CRC-Coastal Water Habitat Mapping-Shallow Water Assessment Technologies. Perth.
Mochtar, Agni Sesaria, Hery Priswanto, Shinatria Adhityatama, Wastu Hari Prasetyo, Muslim Dimas Khoiru
Dhonny, Shoim Abdul Aziz, Ghusnul Assa Fuadillah, Putu Bagus Aditya Asmaranatha, Pahadi, Vicky Narendra
Pharayogi, dan Nabila Ni’maturrachmah. 2019. Laporan Penelitian Arkeologi: Sungai Brantas dalam Perspektif Lanskap Kultur Maritim. Yogyakarta.
Nugraha, I Made Dwiva Satya dan Yuwono. 2014. “Studi Aplikasi Multibeam Echosounder dan Side Scan Sonar untuk Mendeteksi Free Span pada Saluran Pipa Bawah Laut.” GEOID 10(1):65–69.
Permataasri, W. G., Antariksa, dan J. P. Siregar. 2013. “Pelestarian Kawasan Pabrik Gula Watoe Toelis Sidoarjo.” Arsitektur e-Journal 6(2):115–29.
Robson, S. 1995. Desawarnana (Nagarakrtagama) by Mpu Prapanca. Leiden: KITLV.
Sandi, A. D. dan Y. H. Pamungkas. 2015. “Banjir Sungai Brantas Masa Raja Airlangga Abad XI, Berdasarkan Prasasti Kamalagyan 1037 M.” Avatara, e-Journal Pendidikan Sejarah 3(1):50–57.
Singh, Hanumant, Jonathan Adams, David Mindell, dan Brendan Foley. 2000. “Imaging Underwater for Archaeology.” Journal of Field Archaeology 27(3):328.
Staniforth, Mark. 2009. “Research in Underwater Archaeology: some challenges and approaches for the future.” Freiberg Online Geology 22:106–9.
Van Niel, Robert. 1992. Java Under the Cultivation System. Leiden: KITLV Press.
Veriyanto, M. 2015. “Perkembangan Industri Gula di Kabupaten Sidoarjo Tahun 1859-1900.” Universiyas Negeri Yogyakarta.
Westerdahl, C. 1992. “The Maritime Cultural Landscape.” The International Journal of Nautical Archaeology 21(1):5–14.
Wijonarko, W. W. dan B. Sasmito. 2016. “Kajian Pemodelan Dasar Laut Menggunakan Side Scan Sonar Dan Singlebeam Echosounder.” Jurnal Geodesi Undip 5(2):168–78.
Wynn, Jeffrey C. 1986. “A review of geophysical methods used in archaeology.” Geoarchaeology 1(3):245–57.
Yuniar, D. W., T. W. Suharso, dan G. Prayitno. 2010. “Arahan Pemanfaatan Ruang Pesisir Terkait Percemaran Kali Porong.” Jurnal Tata Kota dan Daerah 2(2):63–74.